Ouarzazate: A Journey into the Hollywood of Morocco
Discover the top sights, activities, and attractions in Ouarzazate, Morocco’s desert city famous for its film studios and epic landscapes.
- Getting There and Getting Around
- Top Sights and Attractions
- Outdoor Activities
- Where to Stay
- When to Visit Ouarzazate
- Get Inspired and Plan Your Trip Today!
- Plan an Entertaining Moroccan Holiday Now!
Situated in the dramatic Sahara gateway, Ouarzazate offers the perfect blend of desert landscapes, Hollywood intrigue, and cultural sights. Known as the “doorway to the desert”, this southern Moroccan city acts as a popular base to explore the surrounding oases, kasbahs, and expansive sand dunes of the Sahara. Yet Ouarzazate is far more than just a jumping off point. From ancient kasbahs to Morocco’s largest movie studio, this city full of contrasts promises captivating discoveries for those who take the time to uncover its layers.
Beyond Ouarzazate’s main sights, the city exudes an energy all its own. Blending Berber and African influences, Ouarzazate moves to a different beat than the imperial cities up north. Spend time wandering local souks bursting with traditional crafts and into the alluring side streets, where you may stumble upon impromptu drum circles or locals dancing and singing in joyful camaraderie. As the sun sets, follow the call to prayer echoing across the city as the Atlas Mountains become a silhouette on the horizon.
Whether Ouarzazate is a quick stopover on your Moroccan itinerary or the sole focus, this desert city rewards visitors who want to look beyond the expected. Let Ouarzazate’s history, culture, and cinematic landscapes leave you dazzled. This travel guide will cover everything you need to plan an unforgettable visit to one of Morocco’s most captivating destinations.
Getting There and Getting Around
Ouarzazate sits about 200 miles southeast of Marrakech, close to the edge of the Sahara Desert. The city has its own airport with regular flights from Casablanca and charter flights from Europe. Many choose to arrive overland instead. By rental car, Ouarzazate is about a 5 hour drive from Marrakech and 7 hours from Fes along the N9 road.
Several public buses run daily between Marrakech, Fes, and Ouarzazate. These can take 7-9 hours but offer a budget way to travel. Private transfers can also be booked in advance. Within the small city itself, walking, local taxis, and petit taxis are easy ways to get around.
For venturing to the surrounding attractions like the desert and Atlas Film Studios, it’s ideal to have your own rental car. Day tours by 4×4 or private drivers can also be arranged from the city. Tour groups often base themselves in Ouarzazate when exploring the area.
Top Sights and Attractions
No trip to Ouarzazate is complete without a visit to the Atlas Film Studios. As Morocco’s “Hollywood”, major productions like Game of Thrones and Gladiator have filmed here using the massive sets. Tour the studios to see props and learn insider stories.
The 12th century Taourirt Kasbah is considered one of Morocco’s most beautiful, with intricate detailing. Other highlights include the Foucauld Kasbah and shopping for handicrafts at Place Al Jalaa market.
Just outside Ouarzazate lie majestic destinations like the fortified village of Ait Benhaddou, a UNESCO site, and the Roses Valley with its endless rose fields. The Sahara Desert also beckons to the south for camel treks, sandboarding, and camping under the stars.
The landscapes around Ouarzazate provide plenty of adventures beyond sightseeing. Popular outdoor activities include:
- Stargazing tours – Gaze at the incredibly clear night skies full of stars and the Milky Way galaxy.
- Oasis and valley hiking – Follow trails through palm groves and the colorful Roses Valley.
- Cliff climbing – Test your skills on the rock cliffs and crags surrounding Ouarzazate.
Where to Stay
Ouarzazate has accommodations ranging from budget hostels to 5-star luxury:
- Riads – For traditional Moroccan style, boutique riad guesthouses often have beautiful decorative details.
- Kasbahs – Historic kasbahs like Ait Ben Moro converted into hotels offer views and character.
- Hotels – Mid-range hotels offer familiar comforts and amenities.
- Airbnbs – Apartments and guesthouses provide affordable rentals with cooking facilities.
For proximity to major sights, stay in the city center or just north near the Atlas Film Studios. Room rates are highest during peak seasons.
When to Visit Ouarzazate
Ouarzazate enjoys a hot desert climate with very little rainfall. The best times to visit are:
Spring (March – May)
- Warm sunny days perfect for sightseeing
- Some rainfall brings life to the desert landscape
- Popular time leads to higher prices and crowds
Fall (September – November)
- Daytime temperatures cool down a bit
- Little rain makes exploring comfortable
- Good deals on hotels and flights
Winter (December – February)
- Can be cold at night, especially in the desert
- Occasional snowfall in the mountains
- Low season leads to lower prices
Summer (June – August)
- The extreme heat of 100°F+ in the afternoons
- Higher risk of sandstorms
- Fewer crowds, but some attractions may close
The Roses Valley of Morocco is truly a hidden gem that offers an experience found nowhere else in the world. By cultivating roses for centuries, local farmers have transformed the valley into a perfume-scented floral paradise. The sheer number of blooming roses in vivid hues of pink, red, and yellow is jaw-dropping. Beyond the flowers, the valley rewards visitors with dramatic rock formations, tranquil villages, and the mighty Atlas Mountains framing it all.
Yet this floral wonderland remains largely under the tourist radar, allowing you to soak up the scenery in peace. As you meander dirt paths through endless roses, you’ll feel worlds away from crowded cities. Discover why the Roses Valley deserves to be on any flower lover and nature enthusiast’s bucket list. Let the delicate fragrance relax your mind and delight your senses. Whether you’re seeking unique sights or pure serenity, Morocco’s Roses Valley will leave you blossoming with joy.
Get Inspired and Plan Your Trip Today!
- Check out our Morocco Private Tours to see all the fantastic places you can visit in Morocco.
- Customize your own tour using the form on our website to create a vacation that is perfect for you.
The drive from Marrakech to Ouarzazate takes around 4 hours by rental car or private transfer.
Top attractions include Atlas Film Studios, Taourirt Kasbah, and day trips to Ait Benhaddou village and Roses Valley.
Stay in the city center or just north near Atlas Studios. Riads, boutique hotels, and kasbahs offer great accommodation options.
Spring and fall offer warm days without extreme heat. Winter can be cold in Ouarzazate. Summer sees very high temperatures.
Yes, Ouarzazate is very safe, especially in the main tourist areas. Basic precautions against petty theft are advised. There is little violent crime.
Moroccan Travel Expert
Plan an Entertaining Moroccan Holiday Now!
We can help you fit your stay and experience within your allotted budget.